Best local specialty in Korea
Yeongyang red pepper
Won National Top Agricultural Goods Contest 8 timesBest local specialty in Korea, Yeongyang red pepper
Advantages of Yeongyang red pepper
Yeongyang red peppers, the best local specialty throughout the nation grown under fine sunlight of Yeongyang, won national top agricultural goods contest 8 times. Yeongyang red peppers grown in the mountainous high altitudes with large daily temperature range and daylight hours, have rich flavor and taste, fine and vivid color, its powder floating in water and giving rich taste even in small amount. Also, with thick rind with good texture and less seeds, red pepper powder is produced in large amount. While having all the soil conditions for growing red pepper, most farming homes are experts in growing red pepper with leading knowledge in selecting species, managing crops and drying.
Due to inland climate with large gap in temperatures of summer and winter, summer crops grow well in Yeongyang, and it is the best place for growing red pepper as medium mountainous area or mountainous area with cool climate in summer. Compared to other districts in the area, Yeongyang has less rain and relatively long frostless period, that are optimal conditions for growing red pepper, and large temperature difference between night and day during the fruiting season of red pepper at 11.3℃, long daylight hours and sufficient raindrop, it has the optimal conditions for growing. Long daylight hours and high daily temperature range compared to other regions provide good climate conditions.
Excellency of Yeongyang red pepper
- Superior taste and flavor, and fine and vivid color
- Red pepper powder floats on water and gives rich taste even in small amount
- Thick rind, good texture and less seeds provide large amount of red pepper powder
- Level of spiciness is sufficient and sweetness is high
Growing characteristics of Yeongyang red pepper
- Grown in mountainous high altitude with large daily temperature range and long daylight hours
- Optimal soil condition for growing red pepper
- Most farming homes are experts in growing red pepper with leading knowledge in selecting species, managing crops and drying.
- The specialization proportion is highest in Korea with traditional special species in Yeongyang such as Subicho are grown.